Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Zoning in on the Dreaded "Formatting" of Upcoming Memoir!

If you thought "formatting" was easy, then think again.

I am discovering...the deeper I drill into this...that it is a nasty, unforgiving business. Everything you do affects the remainder of the manuscript.

In other words, it is a juggling act of many moving pasts, like around 150,000 words or so. I was originally thinking about including both Book 1 and Book 2 inside one cover but alas, I have found that this is technically difficult, if not impossible. Bearing this salient fact in mind, I have now opted to publish...
"Book 1" and "Book 2" as two separate entities.

The more I thought about it, the more sense it made.

Now, instead of having a big honkin' BRICK of a book...at almost 1000 pages...I will have two more manageable volumes. After all, as my friend Sarah so succinctly pointed out, a book must be "ergonomic" at the very least. That is to say, not too bloody heavy. It's not supposed to be an exercise regime!

Now, just to keep up the tradition in this space of being "very image-rich", I am posting the latest version of the cover!

While I realize that this version is not drastically different from the previous, there ARE some changes.
Please note that this cover art now signals this is "Book 1". See? I told you I was on a steep learning curve.

No comments:

Post a Comment